Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sutra-volution

Happy Sunday All!

Been working on my sutra, and I wanted to share with you how it's gone because it’s lovely how a combination of opening and connection to the divine and to our kula created a more authentic intention and a deeper understanding.

In mid-December, my first attempt at a sutra was born in reaction to some challenging work issues. It went something like this, 'purify my intentions, and relinquish my impact to the divine.' My desire was to set positive thought in action, while releasing liability for the ripples I initiated, and more importantly, letting go of how those ripples landed with others. Prone to an overactive sense of responsibility, I felt a need to contain my world to that which I could control. I remember, when I said it out loud, it landed flat, and felt like I was throwing up my hands completely, shedding all responsibility. While I’m still not sure what level of responsibility I can take for how others behave, I immediately noticed the feeling of separation that sutra generated. As I sat with this sutra (and its shadow), I recognized how difficult it would be to set in motion positive intentions when oriented this way. Needless to say, the only surviving aspect of this sutra is a seed of conscious intent. A cultivation of presence felt right as a way to feel the depth of gratitude and appreciation for all the wonderful things coming in to my life, as well as address challenges with fewer veils.

During the New Year’s class, my sutra evolved to a practice of presence in the mudya. To me, presence represents momentary awareness and deep listening, to myself, others and the larger community. At this point in sutra-volution, the mudya referred to my mid-line or the point of balance of any set of extremes, which, for this bendy girl, is one of the deepest revelations of Anusara. Mudya goes beyond the physical; off the mat, hugging to the mudya helps me balance between being and becoming, observance and action, light and shadow. This sutra felt right – and I was happy, but something nagged at me. Presence in the mudya seemed irrelevant to the insight I gained around my tendency to separate myself.

Enter Laura and you, beautiful kula! Last weekend, I realized during savasana the layer of meaning I’d been missing! Mudya is the middle, and also the interior. A presence in the middle suggests I’m on the inside, and part-of a whole, whether that be Larke, a home, a community, a relationship, a system or a universe. When I’m present to being in the middle of all those things, I can’t be separate from them; my participation is contributing to a larger whole – how I participate then becomes my choice. This epiphany hit deep, even its form reveals how seemingly disparate themes are unified into a whole. Presence in the mudya – what a lovely way to both set a goal, and gently remind me of my role in the universe.

This sutra has unraveled into such a gift with many dimensions of meaning, surely there are others out there - what does presence in the mudya mean to you?

3 comments:

Ariane said...

Larke -

First off, I love "sutra-volution"! Delightful and so apt.

I remember when you said "presence in the mudya" at the New Year's practice, and how deeply it seemed to resonate for everyone in the room, how we kept coming back to that word, repeating it, taking it in.

For me, your sutra is a powerful reminder to stay awake in the center, no matter the situation, watching and choosing. The sweet spot!

Thanks so much for writing, for sharing your sutra.

Much love,
A

Diana said...

Wow, Larke, so beautifully written and so expressive of a very complex and thought provoking reality - "presence in the mudya" manifests itself in so many different and significant ways! Thank you for sharing the evolution of your "sutra-volution"!

Thanks and much love, Diana

Jami G said...

Hey Larke:
I was at the New Year's practice, and your sutra resonated so strong for me, it was the final refinement I used in my sutra (See Coming Home blog!). I can also relate to wanting to be in control of others, the world, and exchanging that for placing the focus back on me. Mudya is for me balance, the pendulum swing closer to the center, the focal point. Mudya is also reaching out for support....that I don't need to be on this journey all by myself, it's so much richer when shared. Mudya is being here NOW, fully, being fully present in each moment. But, you said it so perfectly. Thank you so much. Love!!!