Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ariananda: Sutra takes form

As I've been thinking about my sutra and my intentions for 2010, it occurred to me that a single pose embodies my vision for the year. It's a pose that challenges me greatly, that's fundamental and yet a serious stretch, where I have a lot of progress to make, a lot of pulling in to do, and a lot of pushing out. It's a pose that commemorates a giant leap, a celebration of great feats performed for love and friendship.

It's Hanumanasana.

Ok, so I've never been able to do the splits in all my 47 years. Why start now?

Why not?

It's not even whether I can finally, finally settle comfortably on the floor. That would be great. I would certainly celebrate! It's more the working-toward that I am interested in, the coming-back-to repeatedly. Oh yes, the sadhana.

As we've been hearing in class for weeks now, sadhana realizes intentions. Practice doesn't just make perfect, practice itself *is* perfect. And so Hanumanasana will be my sadhana this year, a pose in which I'll really feel my sutra -- every breath, rejoice! every breath, love! And every moment in Hanuman will help me hold my vision clear -- how may I serve, how may I add more love to the world?

Now that I've pronounced it, I know you'll be with me this year to meet the challenges of Hanumanasana. And more than that, I know I'll do my own part to help you meet your challenges, to leap to great heights with a full heart.

And so I'm curious: what form does your sutra take? What pose sums it all up?

XX

No comments: